Join our webinars and learn more about several use cases
We are pleased to introduce to you a new series of Terrascope webinars. Experts in the field will present and demonstrate several different use cases, both research based and operational services, to show you how Earth observation data and services give us the possibility to achieve more.
Access massive amounts of data faster than ever before, combine data and use the latest technology, retrieve clear and objective information for critical decisions or new policies, … The cases are diverse: monitoring water quality, measuring nitrogen dioxide, combining satellite data and artificial intelligence to detect changes, mapping flooded areas, ...
Join us for one or more webinars and discover the great potential of Sentinel satellite data and how Terrascope can make your work easier. In each webinar, we will discuss one single use case, based on these three questions:
- What was the question that needed an answer?
- How did Sentinel satellite data help in formulating the answer?
- What is the impact, now that the answer is provided?
The webinars are presented by the people directly involved in the use case. After the presentation you will be able to ask questions and chat with the experts.
- Dates and time: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 16:00-16:45 (CET), view a detailed schedule below
- Registration: register for one or more webinar via the buttons below, participation link(s) will be send as soon as you completed your registration
- Target audience: everyone interested in the use of satellite data and image processing services to gather objective information and/or develop online tools for various end-user applications
- Language: the webinars will be presented in English
Webinar 27 September 2022
Together with the uptake of the openEO Platform, the openEO standard is also supported by the European Space Agency (ESA) and proposed towards the Open Geospatial Consortium as a standard for access and analytics of earth observation data cubes.
In this webinar, we’ll explain how these evolutions make it worthwhile to use the openEO Platform as a new tool to your EO data science toolbox. Join us 27 September and discover:
- how we created a continental crop-type map using openEO
- the various options to receive or purchase a subscription on the platform
- the evolutions in the EO platform ecosystem, and where openEO fits in
Jeroen Dries - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 7 July 2022
Discover Terrascope EOplaza, a brand new platform to access and offer a variety of high-quality EO data and services. Terrascope EOplaza will support you, take away the hassle and allow both end users and service providers to connect, interact and collaborate.
View the webinar recording and discover more about:
- access, process and store massive amounts of data in one place
- use additional processing and storage space
- create faster and better analyses
- easily communicate with the service provider
- implement your service into our Terrascope framework
Hande Erdem & Bram Janssen - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 15 March 2022
In October 2021, ESA’s WorldCover consortium released a new global land cover map at 10 m resolution, providing valuable information for many applications such as biodiversity, food security, carbon assessment and climate modelling.
Ruben Van De Kerchove, WorldCover project manager, will introduce you to this new benchmark land cover product based on both Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 data. View this webinar to learn more about WorldCover and how this new global map can benefit your application.
- Introduction to the WorldCover project
- Methodology, data and validation
- The WorldCover 2020 map and online viewer
- How to access for free the WorldCover map
- User feedback & lessons learned
- WorldCover 2021
Ruben Van De Kerchove - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 18 January 2022
During this webinar, Lisa Landuyt explained how Sentinel satellite data and other EO services, available in Terrascope, were combined to develop TerraFlood, a tool for near-real time flood monitoring. The methodology was developed in collaboration with the Flemish Environmental Agency (VMM) and was also used to map the devastating floods that hit Belgium in the summer of 2021. View this webinar and learn more about:
- Sentinel-1 and its potential for water quality monitoring
- TerraFlood flood mapping algorithm
- Flood maps and derived products available through Terrascope
Lisa Landuyt - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 7 December 2021
Monitoring infrastructures subject to small motions is very expensive and time-consuming. By using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) techniques, we can monitor man-made structures like bridges over time and obtain subsidence time-series. In this webinar Yves Impens and Mehrdad Moshtaghi will explain more about bridge monitoring requirements and InSAR time-series using Sentinel-1 data from Terrascope.
- Bridge monitoring in Flanders
- InSAR method and use cases
- Deformation time-series over bridges
Yves Impens - Flanders Mobility and Public Infrastructure Agency (MOW) & Mehrdad Moshtaghi - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 23 November 2021
In this webinar Guy Hendrickx explains more about the role of Earth observation in disease management. You will discover examples based on the experience of the Avia-GIS team and the products they derive from the Terrascope platform. View this webinar to learn more about:
- What is disease management?
- Which environmental covarites are required?
- How does Terrascope contribute to disease management?
Guy Hendrickx - Avia-GIS
Webinar 9 November 2021
In view of the water-quality related products that will be made available via Terrascope later this year, Liesbeth De Keukelaere and Els Knaeps explain more about monitoring water quality with satellite data and demonstrate a drone-based processing workflow to visualize water bodies like a river, lake or coastal area. View this webinar to find out more about the data and how to access the end-user products:
- Water-quality products in Terrascope
- Use cases based on satellite data
- MAPEO Water: a drone-based data processing workflow to visualize water bodies
- Use cases based on drone data
Liesbeth De Keukelaere and Els Knaeps - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 26 October 2021
During this webinar you will discover how Sentinel satellite data and EO services, available in Terrascope, were used to develop an online tool to automatically monitor redevelopment sites. The developed methodology has been applied to a multitude of sites spread over the Walloon region in Belgium. Sophie Petit demonstrated how remote sensing can support urban planning and explained more about:
- Handling Sentinel data in Terrascope
- Implementing a technical workflow for change detection and classification
- Alternative environment in Terrascope for extensive data
- Benefits for urban planning and other applications
Sophie Petit - ISSeP
Webinar 12 October 2021
On Tuesday 12 October 2021 Jeroen Degerickx gave a webinar on combining Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2 for a better monitoring of crop production. Review the webinar to learn more about:
- CropSAR: monitoring agricultural fields through the clouds
- Building even further: downstream applications build on CropSAR
- Crop calendars: what happens on the field and when?
- Pixel-based CropSAR
- Towards a versatile yield estimation: user-specific training of yield estimation models
Jeroen Degerickx - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 28 September 2021
In this webinar Isabelle De Smedt explained more about monitoring atmospheric gases and air pollution with satellite data. Review the webinar recording or share it with your network.
- Observing changes of Nitrogen Dioxide from space
- Monitoring atmospheric gases during wildfires
- How to access NO2 and CO column densities at a global scale via the EO viewer
- New and improved products (TROPOMI, NO2, HCHO, ... ) coming in 2022
Isabelle De Smedt - BIRA-IASB