Discover our webinars and learn more about the use of EO data and services for several applications
Via our Terrascope webinars we want to present and demonstrate how EO data and services are used, in research activities and operational services. Experts from different sectors show how Earth observation data and services give us the possibility to achieve more.
Discover how to access massive amounts of data faster than ever before, combine data and use the latest technology, retrieve clear and objective information for critical decisions or new policies, …
Join us for one or more webinars and discover how Terrascope can make your work easier. After the presentation you will be able to ask questions and chat with the experts.
- Registration: register for one or more webinar via the buttons below, participation link(s) will be send as soon as you completed your registration
- Target audience: everyone interested in the use of satellite data and image processing services to gather objective information and/or develop online tools for various end-user applications
- Language: the webinars will be presented in English.
Webinar 27 February 2024
Flood events are becoming more frequent and extreme, both globally and in Belgium. Insights in their extent and dynamics are crucial, both for emergency management and to develop adequate adaptation strategies. In this webinar, we will discuss how Earth Observation data can be used for flood monitoring.
During this webinar Lisa Landuyt and Bram Vogels will explain more about:
- Sentinel-1 and its value for flood monitoring
- Current EO services available for flood monitoring
- Future plans using drones and commercial SAR imagery
- Monitoring during extreme weather and flooding events
Bram Vogels - Vlaamse Milieumaatschappij (VMM)
Lisa Landuyt - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 12 March 2024
The SPOT-VEGETATION and PROBA-V satellite missions collected vegetation related information from 1998 to 2020. To continue this long-term data series, we now turn to Sentinel-3. The Sentinel-3 SYN VGT products are designed to provide surface vegetation products, similar to those obtained from the VEGETATION (VGT) instrument onboard the SPOT satellites. Terrascope also provides Sentinel-3 Land Surface Temperature products, derived from the SLSTR instrument. Behind the scenes, we are working on daily and multi-daily composite products.
During this webinar Carolien Toté will explain more about:
- The Sentinel-3 SYN VGT products and how they are generated
- The consistency between SYN VGT and the SPOT-VGT / PROBA-V archives? What are possible sources of inconsistencies
- The Sentinel-3 Land Surface Temperature products
- Which data is easily available via Terrascope
- How to access and use the products
Carolien Toté - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 28 March 2024
In 2023, the ESA WorldCereal consortium released the first global and seasonal crop maps for maize and cereals at 10 m resolution. Seasonality and agro-ecological zoning are essential but complex concepts that are an inherent part of the WorldCereal product suite.
In this webinar, the team will briefly introduce the WorldCereal project and go into more detail on how the seasonal WorldCereal products can be used for your application.
Join this webinar and learn more about:
- How to access WorldCereal products via Terrascope
- Subsetting and downloading products for a region of interest via OpenEO
- The exciting next steps that WorldCereal will take the upcoming years
Zoltan Szantoi - European Space Agency (ESA)
Kristof Van Tricht & Vincent Verelst - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 23 April 2024
The Terrascope viewer now offers formaldehyde (HCHO) and methane (CH4) air quality products, expanding its comprehensive collection of Sentinel-5P TROPOMI data. These new offerings provide valuable insights into the formation, spread, and destruction of harmful emissions, making them particularly valuable for air quality monitoring and assessment.
With over six years of observations, TROPOMI offers a rich database to study air quality patterns. We showcase recent examples of how Terrascope's gridded Sentinel-5P TROPOMI air quality maps can be used to gain insights into air quality and fire activity. By analyzing daily, monthly, and yearly data of HCHO, NO2, and CO, we demonstrate how these observations can be combined to provide a comprehensive picture of air quality trends. We also illustrate how the data viewer facilitates easy navigation and exploration of the vast array of air quality and fire event data.
Register for this webinar to see how EO data are used for:
• Air quality monitoring and assessment
• Fire event detection and analysis
• Tracking anthropogenic emission changes
Isabelle De Smedt - Belgian Institute for Space Aeronomy (BIRA-IASB)
Webinar 30 January 2024
In this webinar, Jurgen Everaerts and Dennis Clarijs outlined how Terrascope secures continuous access to satellite data and derived products from the Sentinel constellation, and related image processing services to continue supporting all Belgian users until at least 2028. Through seamless integration with the Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem, Terrascope users can benefit from an extensive archive covering both temporal and spatial dimensions. Watch the webinar recording to discover more about:
- Data and services available
- Terrascope objectives 2024-2029
- The integration with the Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem
- Terrascope EOplaza: the dynamic hub to foster collaboration between service providers and users
- The power of openEO for cloud processing: simplify the development and sharing of innovative services
Jurgen Everaerts & Dennis Clarijs - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 28 March 2023
With the energy transition in full swing, marine wind speed is an invaluable parameter to find areas suitable for offshore wind farms. Moreover, it influences oil spill propagation, sediment transport, etc. Thanks to the sensor’s all-weather observation capacity and sensitivity to surface roughness, radar data provided by the Sentinel-1 satellite are ideal to monitor marine wind speed.
During this webinar, Lisa Landuyt explains more about:
- the Sentinel-1 Level-2 OCeaN products
- how to monitor wind speed through time and space
- how to analyze the wind energy potential in offshore areas
Lisa Landuyt - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 27 September 2022
Together with the uptake of the openEO Platform, the openEO standard is also supported by the European Space Agency (ESA) and proposed towards the Open Geospatial Consortium as a standard for access and analytics of earth observation data cubes.
In this webinar, we’ll explain how these evolutions make it worthwhile to use the openEO Platform as a new tool to your EO data science toolbox. Join us 27 September and discover:
- how we created a continental crop-type map using openEO
- the various options to receive or purchase a subscription on the platform
- the evolutions in the EO platform ecosystem, and where openEO fits in
Jeroen Dries - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 7 July 2022
Discover Terrascope EOplaza, a brand new platform to access and offer a variety of high-quality EO data and services. Terrascope EOplaza will support you, take away the hassle and allow both end users and service providers to connect, interact and collaborate.
View the webinar recording and discover more about:
- access, process and store massive amounts of data in one place
- use additional processing and storage space
- create faster and better analyses
- easily communicate with the service provider
- implement your service into our Terrascope framework
Hande Erdem & Bram Janssen - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 15 March 2022
In October 2021, ESA’s WorldCover consortium released a new global land cover map at 10 m resolution, providing valuable information for many applications such as biodiversity, food security, carbon assessment and climate modelling.
Ruben Van De Kerchove, WorldCover project manager, will introduce you to this new benchmark land cover product based on both Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 data. View this webinar to learn more about WorldCover and how this new global map can benefit your application.
- Introduction to the WorldCover project
- Methodology, data and validation
- The WorldCover 2020 map and online viewer
- How to access for free the WorldCover map
- User feedback & lessons learned
- WorldCover 2021
Ruben Van De Kerchove - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 18 January 2022
During this webinar, Lisa Landuyt explained how Sentinel satellite data and other EO services, available in Terrascope, were combined to develop TerraFlood, a tool for near-real time flood monitoring. The methodology was developed in collaboration with the Flemish Environmental Agency (VMM) and was also used to map the devastating floods that hit Belgium in the summer of 2021. View this webinar and learn more about:
- Sentinel-1 and its potential for water quality monitoring
- TerraFlood flood mapping algorithm
- Flood maps and derived products available through Terrascope
Lisa Landuyt - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 7 December 2021
Monitoring infrastructures subject to small motions is very expensive and time-consuming. By using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) techniques, we can monitor man-made structures like bridges over time and obtain subsidence time-series. In this webinar Yves Impens and Mehrdad Moshtaghi will explain more about bridge monitoring requirements and InSAR time-series using Sentinel-1 data from Terrascope.
- Bridge monitoring in Flanders
- InSAR method and use cases
- Deformation time-series over bridges
Yves Impens - Flanders Mobility and Public Infrastructure Agency (MOW) & Mehrdad Moshtaghi - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 23 November 2021
In this webinar Guy Hendrickx explains more about the role of Earth observation in disease management. You will discover examples based on the experience of the Avia-GIS team and the products they derive from the Terrascope platform. View this webinar to learn more about:
- What is disease management?
- Which environmental covarites are required?
- How does Terrascope contribute to disease management?
Guy Hendrickx - Avia-GIS
Webinar 9 November 2021
In view of the water-quality related products that will be made available via Terrascope later this year, Liesbeth De Keukelaere and Els Knaeps explain more about monitoring water quality with satellite data and demonstrate a drone-based processing workflow to visualize water bodies like a river, lake or coastal area. View this webinar to find out more about the data and how to access the end-user products:
- Water-quality products in Terrascope
- Use cases based on satellite data
- MAPEO Water: a drone-based data processing workflow to visualize water bodies
- Use cases based on drone data
Liesbeth De Keukelaere and Els Knaeps - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 26 October 2021
During this webinar you will discover how Sentinel satellite data and EO services, available in Terrascope, were used to develop an online tool to automatically monitor redevelopment sites. The developed methodology has been applied to a multitude of sites spread over the Walloon region in Belgium. Sophie Petit demonstrated how remote sensing can support urban planning and explained more about:
- Handling Sentinel data in Terrascope
- Implementing a technical workflow for change detection and classification
- Alternative environment in Terrascope for extensive data
- Benefits for urban planning and other applications
Sophie Petit - ISSeP
Webinar 12 October 2021
On Tuesday 12 October 2021 Jeroen Degerickx gave a webinar on combining Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2 for a better monitoring of crop production. Review the webinar to learn more about:
- CropSAR: monitoring agricultural fields through the clouds
- Building even further: downstream applications build on CropSAR
- Crop calendars: what happens on the field and when?
- Pixel-based CropSAR
- Towards a versatile yield estimation: user-specific training of yield estimation models
Jeroen Degerickx - VITO Remote Sensing
Webinar 28 September 2021
In this webinar Isabelle De Smedt explained more about monitoring atmospheric gases and air pollution with satellite data. Review the webinar recording or share it with your network.
- Observing changes of Nitrogen Dioxide from space
- Monitoring atmospheric gases during wildfires
- How to access NO2 and CO column densities at a global scale via the EO viewer
- New and improved products (TROPOMI, NO2, HCHO, ... ) coming in 2022
Isabelle De Smedt - BIRA-IASB